Tuesday, May 24, 2011

HW 58

Interviews (younger than me)

For the interview with a younger person I decided to interview one of my friends little brother. He is in the 9th grade and 14 years old. I started off by simply asking him what he knows about prom. His answer was pretty standard and basically covered most of the typical prom traditions. He said it was important to dress up and find a date and buy her a corrsage, etc. He then talked about getting a limo and all the other things associated with prom. I then asked him why he thought all those things were neccesary for prom. He seemed stuck on the question and had no real answer. The best he could come up with was because that's what people always do for prom. Pretty simple answer, but I can't blame him it is not a simple question to answer. Basically our talk consisted of pretty standard answers but when asked for explanations of why the answers became much less clear.

Interview(my own age)

For this interview, I interviewed my friend who's little brother I interviewed. He is 18 and is currently a senior. His prom is not until next week. Again, I started by asking him his thoughts on prom. He said he. Didn't think it was too big of a deal to follow all the traditions but prom gives you a day to dress up and spend money and enjoy yourself with your friends. Basically the social situation that prom provides is what makes it worth it. However, the picture of prom portrayed in movies is not as valuable to recreate. I thought this was pretty interesting as I have found that especially in NYC people like the idea of prom yet are not as attached to many of the traditions, or at least don't view them as that big of a deal. However, the essence of prom seems to still be highly valued.

Interview 3 (older than me)

For this interview I decided to talk to a friend of the family who has now graduated college. I asked him what prom was like for him. He responded by saying it was one of the best nights he had in highschool. He got to spend time with his friends, spend time out of school with his classmates and just enjoy himself. I asked him how the people he went to school with values the traditions of prom. He said that people went all out with the limos and suits and such. But there were some kids who did not take it so serious.

Maybe it is a thing that teenagers like to go against traditions more so now than before or that has always been so. Yet there seems to be a trend of that with prom now. However, people are still into the idea of prom and why wouldn't they be, it gives people to live extraordinary for a night(even if its kinda stupid) before they go back to everyday life

No comments:

Post a Comment